In 1867, the first building was constructed on the corner of Solomon and Ninth Streets. Reverend David Wilson was chosen as Pastor, in 1909, this construction was replaced at the same site, with a new and more accommodating one.
The following men succeeded Reverend Wilson as pastor of Mount Zion: Reverend C. Rucker, Reverend Tom Braxton, Reverend J.H. Moore, Reverend Walker, Reverend C. Laster, Reverend Mitchell Starks, Reverend W. M. Bivins, Reverend W. M. Bryant, Reverend J.J. Jackson, Reverend R.H. Holland, Reverend W. B. Bell and Reverend E.M. Johnson.
On November 10, 1927, while under the pastorate of Reverend E.M. Johnson, the church was completely destroyed by fire. Because of this tragedy, the worship services were held at Cabin Creek High School. Shortly afterward, the church was rebuilt at the corner of Fourth and Taylor Streets. Reverend Johnson resigned from Mount Zion to accept another position in Atlanta, Georgia. Reverend L.R. Walker was chosen as pastor and served for seven years. In November 1938, Reverend Charles Williams assumed the pastorate and was followed by Reverend Joel King from 1939 to 1943.
It was under the leadership of Reverend Olden Hixon Stinson that the present building was constructed and paid for in full. Having assumed the pastorate in 1943, he provided unusual leadership in the tradition of those who preceded him as Pastor of Mount Zion until he was called to rest on January 21, 1977. Reverend Stinson served as Pastor for thirty-four years.
On November 27, 1977, Reverend Cleopatrick Lacy was installed as Pastor of Mount Zion. Under his leadership, the church has made great progress including an addition to the Deacons’ Ministry, Church Staff, and an addition to the Parsonage. As part of the ministry complex at Zion, God gave the vision for a Legal Ministry for poor and indigent people. Mount Zion embraced the vision by providing space for the Georgia Legal Services in 1979. A Bus Ministry was organized and extensive property was purchased for building and development. These properties included the Willis Building and Property, which was paid for in 1990 and the Kelsey School Property that was paid for in 2002. The Rites of Passage Program was established in 1998 (An After-School-Program For Grades 3 – 5). In 2001 – 2002, the Zion’s Educational Programs (ZEP) was incorporated with 501(c)(3) status to give guidance to the Rites of Passage Program. In 2002, the Angel Food Ministry became a part of the thirty-eight (38) ministries of Mount Zion that includes both local and global missions.
Submit your prayer request.
MT. ZION BAPTIST CHURCH
Griffin, GA 30223-3426
MORNING WORSHIP SERVICE 11AM | SUNDAY SCHOOL 9:30AM
SENIOR PASTOR | Reverend Dr. Cleopatrick Lacy
Rev. Ashlyn Strozier | Rev. Kenneth Bradley
Mt. Zion Baptist Church | 321 East Taylor Street Griffin, GA 30223-3426 | Phone: 770-228-0310
Mt. Zion Baptist Church | Mailing Address: P.O. Box 764 Griffin, GA 30224